Monday, August 3, 2009

Butterflies and Blooms cake

This past weekend, I made this very special cake for my cousin Beth's 30th birthday. I wasn't exactly sure where I was going with the design until I remembered how much she liked butterflies. I made some white and yellow sugar butterflies that I would later perch strategically on the cake. Because the birthday girl also loves the color turquoise, it was the ideal fondant color choice to go with the yellow and white accents. Ribbon roses were added to help give the cake a bit of sophistication, while polka dots contributed just the right amount of whimsy. The cake itself was a light and fluffy classic white cake with a creamy Italian meringue buttercream filling. The front of the cake boasted the number 30, while the back displayed the birthday girl's name.

Don't worry Beth, if 40 is the new 30 (to which I firmly subscribe), then 30 has to be the new 20! Hope you had a great birthday!

No comments: